Saturday 29 May 2010

Biography

"Dent has consistently pushed audiences in their expectations of performance. The subtlety of her work cuts through some of the po-faced bombast of much performance work". Anthony Shapland

Born in London, I studied in Bristol and then in Cardiff, where I have been based for the past 12 years. Since 1999 I have performed widely both in the UK and in Europe. Commissioned work includes 'Good his Labour', performed at the Victoria and Albert Museum, for Architecture Week 2003 and the 'Anchor Series'- site specific improvisations, performed at among others: Anti Festival Finland (2003), Bone6 Switzerland (2003) and for the Baltic in Newcastle (2005). I was also an artist in residence for the Body Limits Season in Lyon (2002) and Dance Encounters, Wales Arts International (2007). I also exhibit prints of my performances, participating in 'Flourish', a group show in the Czech Republic (2005), SPILL in London (2007) and most recently in 2010 showing a film of my work for 'The Fractured Body: The House as Body', an event hosted by Mobile Studio as part of the Surreal House exhibition at the Barbican Art Gallery.

In the past my work has been concerned with the positioning of the body and the blurring of boundaries of subject and object in architectural space, this has led more recently since becoming a mother to exploring the maternal body as site itself. I am currently working with Zoë Gingell, in a joint examination of our experiences of motherhood in relation to the body; the 'Mothersuckers Project'.

I am also a qualified lecturer and have taught at the University of Wales Institute, Cardiff and Gloucestershire University.

No comments:

Post a Comment